"Worrying about tomorrow means that you are missing some of today" Corey Allan of Simple Marriage

Monday, July 23, 2012

Meals and Munchies - Shortbread & Basic Quiche

I woke up yesterday (Sunday) and thought about my first day after having deleted my Facebook Account, and what I planned to do on my computer that wouldn't involve checking in on that website.
Then I remembered my new 'schedule' that meant Sundays are now social, and I wasn't going on my computer at all.  Gave myself a bit of a fright, but it all turned out great and I survived my second computer free Sunday.

On to meals and munchies Mondays.  The great thing about meals and munchies Mondays means that I have to start exploring new meals and snacks, thus broadening my go to recipe base.

First up is

Shortbread
Shortbread is one of 4 biscuits (cookies) that I make most often.  #1 is Afghans, followed by ANZAC Biscuits, Chocolate Chippies, and rounded off with Shortbread.  I definitely need to expand my regular menu!

Cream butter and icing sugar

Add sifted cornflour and flour

Knead well, it is a super crumbly dough, I find it a pain to work with.

Roll out and cut into desired shapes (in my case a 'gingerbread' man, and a (foundation for the blind) dog

Lots of men waiting to go into the oven (pricked with a fork)

And the dogs patiently waiting too (I did have trouble with their tails!)

Oooops, my oven may have been a bit hot, but they still taste great!

Shortbread Recipe
(From Edmonds Cookbook)
250g butter
1 C icing sugar
1 C cornflour
2 C flour

Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.  Sift cornflour and flour together.  Mix sifted ingredients into creamed mixture.
Knead well.
On a lightly floured board roll out to 1.5cm thickness, cut shapes as desired.
Place on a greased oven tray (I just use baking paper).
Prick with a fork.
Bake at 150 deg. celcius for 30 minutes our until pale golden.
OR
Roll out to 1.5cm thickness, and do the rest.  Once out of oven cut into squares while hot.


Basic Quiche
(Again from the Edmonds cookbook)

Start with 200g shortcrust pastry.  I made mine - cut butter into flour and salt
until it resembles very fine breadcrumbs (not quite there, but close enough!)
Mix to stiff dough with cold water.  Do not handle too much.
Roll out pastry
Line quiche dish (I cut too much off as you can see, but it all ended up ok) and blind bake at 200 deg. celcius for 12 minutes.  I pricked my pastry as I don't have baking beads, are now on my shopping list.

Filling = cooked onion (pic is of it raw :)

cooked bacon

mushrooms

eggs and milk

and cheese

Mix it all up with a bit of salt, pepper, and flour
pour into pastry shell and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until set

I had spare pastry so made a few bite sized ones.

I actually altered the original recipe a bit, so will put my ingredients in red.  Note, mine were a bit dry, so less egg and more milk would have been the solution.  Plus I don't accurately measure a lot of ingredients so mine won't be accurate, at all :)

Basic Quiche Recipe

200g shortcrust pastry
2 C flour
1/4 t salt
125g butter
cold water

Sift flour and salt together.  Cut in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Mix to a stiff dough with a little water.  Roll out very lightly and do not handle more than is necessary.
(Makes 375g)

Filling
3 rashers bacon, chopped (I used 6)
1 onion, chopped
1 C milk
2 eggs (I used 8)
1/2 C tasty cheese (I used about 1C of mixed Tasty and Edam)
Salt
Pepper
2T flour

Cook bacon and onion.  Stir in flour and cook until frothy.  Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens.  Remove pan from heat.  Lightly beat eggs with a fork.  Add eggs and cheese to saucepan.  Stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.
(I just cooked bacon and onion, and added all the other ingredients in a bowl.  One must learn to read the entire recipe, not just do what she thinks is right.  Mine still tasted ok though)

Pour filling into pastry base, bake 200 deg celcius for a further 30 minutes or until filling is golden and set.
Serves 4-6 
(or in our case 3 lunches!)






No comments: