"Worrying about tomorrow means that you are missing some of today" Corey Allan of Simple Marriage

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Negative and slide film scanner


Don't you just love how God intervenes in your life sometimes and just points you towards something you have been wanting for a longish time? It's not a 'huge' thing. Not groundbreaking, or AMAZING. Certainly not life changing, but pretty cool just the same.

When you don't have your own kids (yet! Please God, choose to bless me) you take a TONNE of photos of your sisters kids

So, I have been wanting a negative scanner for a wee while now. Typically I did not want, or was not able, to spend a lot of money. Really, I wasn't looking too hard. I had had a quick online look, but MAN they were expensive. And its only to scan my old snapshots mostly. I don't really think that I have any shots of note, however I do have 1000's, if not 10's of 1000's to sort through and scan. Anywho, at work yesterday during lunch I pulled out a scrapbooking mag, and a colleague next to me said 'Do you scrapbook?' 'I dabble a bit' was my reply. 'I have thousands of photos and it is a good way to display them'. To which she replied her mother had just purchased a negative scanner from 'the Warehouse' for around $120.00 ($129.00 as it turns out).

When you are no longer young, and can not 'do' gymnastics (not that I could do anything more than a handstand, or cartwheel), you live through your sisters kids


*Ching ching*

My attention from the magazine was instantly GONE. Colleague gets my full attention. Where in the Warehouse was it? In the CD section (behind the counter it turns out). Does it scan slide as well? Yes. Does it scan 35mm only? Yes(bit of a poo as I have some of my grandparents, or even great grandparents HUGE black and white negatives. I might just have to bite the bullet on those ones).
My sister has three kids, do you think she would notice if I stole one of them?

So, I went into town today and bought myself one. It was the last one on the shelf (thank you God), and I can't wait until I get a chance to open it up and use it - I can tell right now that TJL is going to get sick and tired of me saying

'HEY TJ, come look at this one. I took this in 1986, when I was 15. That there is Jo, and this here is Tina, and we did blah blah blah, and I remember when such and such did this crazy thing, and then we had icecreams, and Mr Wotnot rode a bicycle, and we should visit crazy town and go see my old school, and blah blah blah'

Me, I can talk a lot. Poor TJL, I feel sorry for him already.

No comments: