"Worrying about tomorrow means that you are missing some of today" Corey Allan of Simple Marriage

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Short term pain, long term gain

This is my new philosophy on life - Short term pain, long term gain.  I am such a flawed individual, and probably quite typical of many people.  I don't put off, or deprive myself of, what I want NOW so I can attain what I really want in the FUTURE.  Do I want to lose weight?  Yes!  Do I want to each an ice-cream now?  Yes!  And what do I do?  I eat the ice-cream.  One won't hurt, will it?  And I really want it!  I will deprive myself of yummy food starting tomorrow.   Bah ha ha ha ha …. Yeah Right!  Do I want an expensive lens for my camera?  Yes!  Do I want that magazine now?  Yes!  And what do I do?  I buy the magazine, because I really, really want it, and it gets added to my pile of already UNREAD magazines - I will get to them soon, really I will, I will.  Bah ha ha ha haaaaa …. Yeah Right!

So now I tell myself 'Short term pain, long term gain'.  Cycling an extra 15 minutes on the indoor bike in the morning hurts my legs, but I am now looking at the long term gain!  15 minutes now saves me 15 minutes (or longer) of hard work in the future!  Deleting emails from companies that have 'Special deals on' before reading them isn't really painful at all, and it is stopping me from spending my hard earned low income on stuff that I don't need.  The real test on this one will be when I am in town and am faced with the decisions there in the shop.

Hang tough MJJ!  Hang tough and reach those long term goals for the first time in your life!!

1 comment:

sass @ (In)fertility Unexplained said...

Wrestling with will power is not fun, but I know you can do it!

I tagged you in a Q&A if you're up for answering some questions!